Illinois Space Grant Research Opportunity
Illinois Space Grant
Undergraduate Research Opportunities in Astronomy and Space Science
Funded by an educational grant awarded by NASA to Northwestern University through the Illinois Space Grant Consortium, Northwestern offers a College Summer Research Program for outstanding undergraduates. The program provides an opportunity for college students to work with a professor in one of several areas of space sciences and astrophysics. It is open to students who are currently in an undergraduate program in university or college.
Support of up to $8,000 is available to cover ten weeks of summer research. The exact period is flexible, but it should be between approximately June 15 and September 15.
All our projects here at Northwestern can provide the students with extensive computer experience with a variety of computing facilities on campus and/or via electronic access to several off-campus supercomputer centers. We also have projects that will provide laboratory experience.
Some of the areas of current research are:
- Theoretical work on the physics of pulsars and black holes in the centers of galaxies
- Modeling of extrasolar planetary systems
- Supercomputer simulations of sources of gravitational waves
- Radio maps of the Galactic Center and star formation regions
- Optical observations related to the study of the cosmic microwave background and the intergalactic gas
- Gamma-ray observations of high energy phenomena near black holes and neutron stars
- Laboratory work to develop mirrors which can reflect X-rays
- Observations of interstellar magnetic fields
- Development of astronomical instruments for infrared and submillimeter wavelengths.
Application Instructions – Deadline: March 24, 2023
Applicants should submit the following information and documents. The first three in one email with Subject Line: ISGC – (your last name) and the last one sent separately by the letter writer with this subject line: ISG- Letter for (your last name)
- Contact information including telephone, email and postal address
- Your “unofficial” transcript
- 1-2 page letter of interest describing your interests and science-related experience outside the formal college program, and
- Letter of recommendation
Email to: email@example.com
Email submission only
We strongly encourage those who are eligible to apply for a Northwestern-funded summer research grant as this will allow us to spread our funds to more students.
Students from other institutions are encouraged apply for supplemental funding from Northwestern’s Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP).
Back to top